Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Unforgettable Beach Places

It's a bit hard to think about going to the beach when you are in the middle of a thunderstorm. My parents though started bringing me to the beach when I was just 8 months old. We went to the beach every year and they used to complain that it was so hard to get me out of the water. Back then I wanted to be a mermaid! Things change though. I still like going to the beach, but I don't spend as much time in the water. My attempts though to sunbathe are always futile because I only turn red. I love going to the beach and I try to go every first quarter of the year.

I have not been around that much and try to avoid the popular places, but here are some of the unforgettable beach places I've been to.

1. Camangui, Pasacao, Camarines Sur

My favorite Tita Olive.

Not a famous place to go to but this is home for me. This is where my family used to go to every single year together with neighbors. I have a lot of happy childhood memories here and this is where my Tita Olive lives. When we're here we live in a nipa hut and we use the poso to take a bath. I had my worst sunburn here haha. I'm really sad though that our neighbors in Camangui violated the zoning ordinance and built an illegal wharf beside our property. It's not as good as it used to be.

2. Carbin Reef (Sagay Marine Reserve)


Anne was the one who introduced me to Carbin Reef. It is a tiny reef found on the Sagay Marine Reserve. Just sand and water around. They have some tiny huts on the reef, but most of the reef disappears by late afternoon so you just go there to swim and eat your baon and then swim again and then leave. I super love this place because of the tranquility it brings. The tiny fish also like biting off my dead skin so it's like going to the spa haha. Carbin Reef is now on top of my list whenever I want to go to the beach.

3. Samal Island, Davao


It's been a long time since I went to Samal Island. I love though how easy it is to get there. The last time I went I was with my best friend and high school classmates. The water was clear and calm and since it was a resort it was easy and inexpensive to get lots of food! I think the place is unforgettable for me more because of the conversations we had while we were in the water.

4. Pambato Reef, Palawan



We joined an island tour a few years back and the bangka docked at Pambato Reef. The area is good for snorkeling. The water was really deep and my imagination run wild after I went in the water (immediately went back to the dock haha). It was unforgettable though because of the many types of fish I saw. I didn't get to see any turtles though.

5. Batangas (somewhere there)

When I was in college our student publication would take out of town trips for our writing seminars. We had gone on a short boat trip around the place and the boatmen brought us to a cove where they encouraged us to take a dip in the water. The water was so clear I immediately went in thinking that the water was shallow. I was wrong! My overactive imagination pushed me to get out of the water just after awhile. It's been more than 20 years since that happened but I remember the place very clearly.

6. The North Atlantic Ocean

I had the chance to visit Morocco in 2012. We had an event and was billeted at a resort hotel. My room overlooked the North Atlantic Ocean. The water had a different shade of blue and was so inviting. I had wanted to go to the water but I didn't have a chance because we were so busy and I noticed that only men would go swimming. The weather before and after work also was too cold for me. It was my first time to see the ocean from that part of the world so it's quite memorable. Maybe someday I'll be able to go back.

7. Panglao, Bohol


Beach holiday with the family. It's been more than 8 years though since the last time we've been to Bohol. I love going to the beach there because it has a lot of character! There's starfish, a lot of shells and other marine life. The sun also seem to be nicer in Bohol because I managed to get a slight tan there. Hope to go back soon!

8. Boracay


I think everyone has Boracay on their list. I had the chance to go island hopping in Boracay and that was memorable for me. The milky white sand also is a reason why I go back every few years.

9. Bali


Another place which everyone probably has on their list. Bali because I have a lot of fond family memories here.

10. Bintan and Batam


When you are based in Singapore and want a quick beach getaway you can easily just ride the ferry and be in Indonesia in an hour! We've tried both areas and usually spend time there when we want to get away from city life.

I have a preference though for beaches in the Philippines because it's home (and it's always not cold!) and I'm sure that the marine life is friendly. I'd like to visit other beaches too. I hope to be able to go to Potipot, the pink sand beach in Zamboanga and go back to Hundred Islands in Pangasinan since I was just a child the last time I was there. For international locations, I'd like to visit Langkawi and Bondi. Someday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment