Pages

Monday, March 14, 2016

Lili Elbe, Be Yourself

The only time I get to watch movies is when I'm stuck inside a plane with nothing else to do. I normally watch (and re-watch) favorite episodes of Big Bang Theory, Friends, How I Met Your Mother and other favorite shows and select popular movies (I re-watched Star Wars VII recently).

"The Danish Girl" looked interesting and I finally got to watch it the other day. I watched the movie without reading the summary, but was pleasantly surprised with how the story went. The movie was set in the 1920's and was a love story inspired by painters Einar and Gerda Wegener. It showed the journey that they went through where in the end Einar became Lili Elbe.



The film showed the struggle that Einar went through as he transformed into Lili. I have seen a few of my friends go through the same struggle back when I was in college and best thing one could do is be like Gerda, supportive and loving. All of us struggle in just being ourselves since there's so much pressure from society to conform to expectations.

Lili Elbe just wanted to be herself and eventually lived her life the way she wanted. She lived during the era when society was very strict about the role a man and a woman should play. She was diagnosed as mentally ill/schizophrenic/homosexual and was almost put in an asylum. Despite that she showed how strong she was and pursued her dreams.

One can pick up lessons on love, being true to yourself and understand the struggles of others from the film. By being understanding to others we could probably make earth a better place to live in.


No comments:

Post a Comment